Launched by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Chinese National Lighting Test Centre, the Global Efficient Lighting Centre (GELC) is designed to support the rapid deployment of energy-efficient technologies in developing and emerging countries. As the newest UNEP Collaborating Centre, the GELC supports countries by assisting in the establishment or strengthening of national and/or regional lighting laboratories by:
- Providing technical advice for the development and implementation of effective product quality surveillance mechanisms for national, regional and global institutions;
- Developing quality checking control tests commissioned by governments and the private sector;
- Providing professional guidance to countries for establishing new, or enhancing exisiting, lighting laboratories and quality management systems;
- Offering technical training for the testing of lighting products;
- Improving manufacturing techniques for energy efficient products; and
- Providing expert guidance for policy and regulatory issues associated with the production of efficient lighting.